- Introduction to Computer: Historical evolution of computers, characteristics of networks, capabilities and limitations of computers. Information storage in computers: ASCII, Unicode. Computer generations. Types of computers: PCs, Desktop, Laptop, Palmtop, PDA, etc. Definition: Hardware, Software and Firmware.Applications of computers: Computers and their impact on society, computer in education, commercial data processing, public utilities, and computers in home and computer use of the future.Block diagram of computer identifying their components and functions.
- Primary memory: RAM, ROM, EPROM, etc.
- Secondary Memory: Magnetic Tapes, Magnetic Disk, Hard Disk, Compact Disk, USB Hard Drives, USB Flash Drive.
- Input Devices: Keyboard, Mouse, Light pen, Joystick, Touch Panels, Scanner (OMR, OCR, MICR, etc.), Voice Recognition System, Portable handheld terminals for data collection. Output Devices: Printers (Serial, Line, Page, Inkjet Laser Printer), Plotters, Voice Generation System, Monitors.
- Types of Software: Application Software, System Software, Translators, System Utilities.
- Types of Languages: Machine Language, Assembly Language, High-Level Language -their Features, Advantages and Disadvantages. Operating System: Definition, need Operating System services, functions of the operating system as a resource manager.
- Introduction to Windows:WINDOWS XP – Installing WINDOWS XP starting and quitting WINDOWS XP, Basic Elements of WINDOWS XP, My Computer, Network Neighborhood, Sharing Devices, Windows Explorer (Files and Folder Operations), Control Panel, Accessories like Accessibility, Entertainment, Communication, System Tools, Paint Brush, Calculator, Calendar, Clock, Note Pad, Word Pad Etc.
- Elements of Work Processing: MS-WORD: Basic features of Word Processing, File-New, Open, Save, Print, Close, Page Setup, Edit-Find, Replace, Cut, Copy, Paste, etc. View-various layouts, Zooming, Header, Footer, Toolbars, Insert-Various types of objects, Files, Symbols, Date, Time, etc., Format-Various Styles, Auto Format, Paragraph formatting, Bullets and numbering, etc. Tools- Spell Checking, Word Count, Auto Correct, Languages, etc., Tables- Insert, Delete, Update, Auto format and different operations on tables, Windows and Help.
- Spread Sheet: EXCEL: Excel worksheet, data entry, editing, cell addressing, ranges, commands, menus, copying & moving cell content, inserting & deleting rows and column, column formats, cell protection, printing, creating, displaying & printing graphs. Mathematical and Statistical Functions and Formulas.
- Computer Communication and Internet: Concepts: The Internet, the internet and Intranet differences among them About the Internet and Its Working, Business use of Internet, Services Offered by the Internet, Evolution of Internet, Internet Service Provider (ISP), Windows Environment for Dial-Up Networking (Connecting to the web).
- WWW and Web Browser: Introduction to the Functionality of Web Browsers: Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator Concept of WWW, surfing through websites. Web Browsing (opening, viewing, saving a web page and bookmark). Searching and downloading from different sites and software.
- Email: Basic Introduction, Advantages and Disadvantage, Structure of an E-Mail Message, Working of E-Mail (sending & receiving messages), Managing Email (creating new folders, deleting messages, forwarding messages, filtering messages), Configuration of Outlook Express.
MS PowerPoint: Introduction, PowerPoint elements -templates, wizards, views, colour schemes. PowerPoint menus options, sub-options, preparing a presentation using different tools, working with drawing, models, dialogue boxes, building slides and slide shows.